On Being


I've decided to start a new series called "On Being".

The idea came to me during one of my routine "ugly cry and listen to music" car rides. I was listening to a song by Modern Baseball called "Fine, Great" and out of key (my only key, really) singing along to the lyrics "I hate having to think about my future, when all I wanna do is worry about everyone but me."

And with the weight of those words heavy in my mouth, and the voice in my head that sounds like Dolly Parton saying, "Well hell, if that ain't you honey I don't know what is" - an idea was born.

I know very little - about myself and the world, really - but something I do know is that I would very much rather concern myself with the well-being of others than my own. I am here for you, and you, and you - curious and giving and listening, always listening - but I do not allow myself the same attention. I am too much for myself to handle, I suppose.

I am working on it.

So in an effort to stop "worrying about everyone but me" I thought that maybe, since this is my public diary after all, I could talk about the ways I choose (and often, not choose) to "be". You know, self indulge a little.

My first topic will be "On Being: Alone" and discuss, both the loveliness and the suffering of, being untethered.

Doesn't that sound fun? This is the kind of content you came here for, right? (Please note, I often listen to a podcast that talks about every single episode of Gilmore Girls, so I am no expert on what qualifies as cool or interesting content.)

Stay tuned.